Friday, February 19, 2010

How come i can catch far away radio stations better at night or when its raining than during a clear day?

Because those transmitters beam their signals in your direction during the night rather than day time to your location. More people are likely to be listening rather than be at work during the day. Secondly there is less solar interference at night where you are.


Isn't it great to listen to shortwave? I have been doing it all my life since ten years old. I have been surfing the waves long before the Internet was even thought of.


Happy listening, it is very educational.How come i can catch far away radio stations better at night or when its raining than during a clear day?
hmm.. maybe because: electric sound waves are sent through wires. and water conducts electricity. it is cooler and night, so the air is more dense. so it could conduct better and therefore clearer? im really unsure but that would be my best guessHow come i can catch far away radio stations better at night or when its raining than during a clear day?
sun spots. I'm not sure what they are, but when I worked at a place where we used two way radios, I know there was a lot more interference on a bright sunny day than a cloudy day or at night. The radio guy said it was from sun spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment